Friday, May 29, 2009

40 Days!!!!! Or is it??

40 days remaining - can you believe it. I am getting so anxious to meet this little guy .... and well aware of how his tiny little presence is going to turn our whole household on its head (in the nicest possible way of course).

I need to know one thing .... is it normal at this late stage to start worrying about things like Downs Syndrome? Sight? Hearing? Please tell me I am not losing my mind because I really am starting to worry that this is a bad omen of some sort. I need to hear that I am not the only one for which this feeling intensifies as the birth draws nearer and I simply cannot remember when I was pregnant with Morgan. I wish I had a guarantee that everything is going to be 100% but I guess that is just something I have to wait for. The good thing is this - when I went to see the midwife yesterday and she was listening to baby's heartbeat with the doppler, she told me his hearing is fine because when he heard his heartbeat on the doppler - his own heartbeat sped up.

Onto other matters now .... I went to above Midwife yesterday with every intention of having my fundul height measured manually (with a measuring tape) just for my own peace of mind since there is a discrepancy with the dr's dates and with my dates.
Let me explain that the dr. is going by the very first scan (which, I might add, he rushed through) and refuses to take any of the growth scans into consideration. I have had three other scans by three different technicians through the course of the pregnancy and all their dates match mine. This makes my due date 14 July and the dr. has only booked my c/s for 9 July which means we may have history repeating itself with me going into labour afterhours before the scheduled c/s and various dr's being called in from home - or worse, a different dr performing my c/s.

I am trying not to stress too much but from someone who lived in Jhb my whole life and surrounded by very good hospitals and dr's (had Morgan with Dr. Cameron at Morningside Clinic and LOVED the experience!!!!) I guess this whole small town fear is just very real to me. I mean if anything should go wrong then Durban is the closest place at 1.5 hours drive???
Sorry - last minute nerves kicking in. Ya think???

Trick here is for me to relax as much as possible even though I am DYING to meet my little sunshine earlier than I thought.

P.S (My sister is coming to the coast the last weekend in June with a whole bunch of baby stuff incl. cot, mobile bath and lots of other bits and pieces - wouldn't it be brilliant timing if baby decides to come that weekend too?? I could think of no greater gift) :o))

5 comments:

Nikki said...

It's absolutely normal to be worrying about these things, and you'll continue to worry about them after he is born.

14 July is a good date... my birfday :)

Nix
XOXOXOXO

Irene said...

Yay Nix!!! I must put a reminder in my calander

xoxo

Irene said...

Yay Nix!!! I must put a reminder in my calander

xoxo

Martie xxx said...

It would be great if your sis is here! Very special!

Yip - I still stress about it and when he cant focus, I keep on thinking he is squint. I was soooo scared of downs as well and kept on thinking he has it and even asked the doc ater the Apgar test if he is sure. I know it sound stupid and parranoid, but i think its normal.

CONGRATS ON 40 DAYS!!!

Chez said...

Hey baby dol, it ABSOLUTELY normal!! Even when they are here you worry about other silly things - like brain function, squinting, deafness, etc,,,,, you are only doing what we all do as human beings! WORRY - so try not to!!

Can't wait to see you - yippeeeee!!!

xxxxx